We acknowledge that we are in a unique position to observe any changes in a child’s behaviour or appearance which could alert us to safeguarding concerns about their well-being.
This is especially important in children who are unable to communicate through spoken language e.g. babies, very young children and children with SEND.
We are therefore are guided by the following key principles;
- All children have the right to be safe and should be protected from all forms of abuse and neglect.
- Safeguarding children is everyone’s responsibility.
- It is better to help children as early as possible before issues escalate and become more damaging.
- Children and families are best supported and protected when there is a coordinated response from all agencies.
As part of our ongoing commitment to safeguarding children in our care we will ensure that this policy is readily available for professionals, parents and partners, to access website www.risingstarspreschool.co.uk login page, Bright HR App, nursery office and reception board. We will ensure that parents are also given access to the policy prior to children attending the setting and following each update.
We recognise that we as individuals
- Are responsible for safeguarding.
- Must be able to identify the signs and symptoms of abuse.
- Must be able to identify concerns (Early Help / Child in Need / Child Protection / Allegations Against Professionals).
- Must be familiar with internal reporting procedures and processes (reporting safeguarding concerns to DSLs, and allegations only to Proprietor/similar).
- Must refer concerns to children’s social care in the absence of Designated Safeguarding Leads (DSL).
- Must ensure that all safeguarding concerns are shared promptly with DSLs.
- Must be able to challenge professional safeguarding decisions internally/ externally with other agencies.
- Must refer/ escalate a case if we disagree with the DSL not to refer, with respect and transparency.
- Must be able to whistle blow when required.
In addition, we are also aware as individuals regardless of where we work within our setting that we are responsible for reading and reviewing the safeguarding policies of Rising Stars Romford. Overall responsibility for compliance with statutory safeguarding requirements lies collectively with the Managing Directors, however one will be nominated as having the lead responsibility for Safeguarding.
We have a Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) Stephanie Charalambous (telephone 07540249367) who has a specific operational responsibility for implementing the organisations safeguarding and child protection policies and procedures. In the event that Stephanie Charalambous is unavailable, to ensure safeguarding matters are dealt with promptly Nicole Ruse Deputy DSL will be available to cover the DSL duties.